Display advertising has always intrigued online marketers. It's appealing as
it carries great potential to brand our companies and when you've got a banner
campaign that works, they can really generate the clicks - whether they come
from the same group of active community should not matter.
I have the opportunity to speak with many online media agencies and what I've
found is that when these organizations perform their media planning services and
prepare an advertising budget, they do it with the understanding that there will
1) be a consistency within all of the promotional campaigns they are running, 2)
be placed on efficient advertising mediums determined through thoughtful
research and empirical data, and 3) will inevitably fall in line with the
clients pre-defined advertising spend.
When efforts and expenses are aligned, online banner advertising often
secures a good share of attention and over time has become essential to achieve
awareness, Web traffic, and attention within and from the target audience.
Whether you use a media buying agency or not, it's important to give this type
of advertising some consideration. But what actually distinguishes effective
online banner advertising campaigns?
Here are a few tips for effective banner/display advertising:
- Create visually interesting elements with bright colors
- Large headlines work better than small ones
- Copy must be at a minimum; 12-15 words is ideal
- Focus on benefits; save features for landing pages
- Include calls to action; "register to win",