The 2009 Affiliate Summit AffStat Report is out and the results might surprise you. Let's look closely at topics and trends important to both affiliate marketers and merchants now.
- Split nearly down the middle, 51% of affiliates maintained an opt-in e-mail list for their site.
- 55% of respondents promoted affiliate links in PPC search engines.
- Terms and conditions of affiliate programs are important with 84% responding they sometime or always read the affiliate agreement.
- Regarding the preference towards programs on networks versus independent programs, just 12% preferred independent while 55% preferred network and 33% had no preference at all.
- The number of affiliate programs varies wildly. While only 3% promoted one program, 56% promoted between 2 and 20 programs, with 30% promoting 51 or more.
- 55% of Affiliate believe less than 30-day cookies are fair (only 1% were in the 181-365 day cookie group).
- In regards to payment policies, 55% said how often the program pays affected their decision to promote an affiliate offer.
There is quite a bit of valuable information in the rest of the report. Additional statistics include the use of adware and/or toolbars, commission rate increase negotiations, the number of domains owned by affiliates, relationships with affiliate managers, payment thresholds and EPCs. Consider it a must read for those serious about affiliate marketing.