Popular open-source content management system Joomla! has made available Joomla! 1.6.
This version of the CMS delivers a variety of new tools to improve website management and access, a more robust organizational structure for content control, and various other user-experience improvements throughout the software.
"Joomla 1.6 has evolved to become the most user-friendly and powerful tool yet for developing a web presence,” said Ryan Ozimek, president of Open Source Matters, which provides support to the Joomla project.
Noteworthy features in Joomla 1.6:
- New Access Control System - Allows site administrators control over who can view and manage content.
- Unlimited Depth Organizational Model - Gives site administrators and content creators user-defined category levels that allow for the creation of a category tree with as many or as few levels for organizing articles and other content as needed.
- One-Click Extension Updates - Allows users to keep sites secure and controlled by simplifying the process of updating extensions.
- Semantic XHTML Layouts - Provides a better baseline for content presentation.
- Multi-language Functionality - Allows site builders to implement a multi-language sit
It is the "one-click extensions" that caught our attention in this release. Our upcoming issue (March 2011) has an article about some of the most important extensions for Joomla users. Definitely don't miss that issue - request a pro-level subscription to Website Magazine today.