Content management receives only modest attention from the digital media community. The role that the software category plays however in the management of digital assets (like content) is of immense importance to the efficiency and productivity of an enterprise. The system you choose (and it’s one of the most important decisions) should be able to fulfill all of your needs. When they don’t, you’ll need to turn to third-party extensions.
A good example of this can be seen in the release of several new software extensions developed by FormTek for the Alfresco Open Content Platform. The extensions include:
- an auditing extension provides an audit log for every file and folder within Alfresco
- a file linking extension that allows a single document stored in Alfresco to be accessible from multiple locations without the need to duplicate the file
- an association extension which enables users to establish relationships between documents via Alfresco Share
- a security extension which allows file and folder access control on a per-user and per-group basis
- and a browser extension that allows users to select older document versions, view its Web preview and associate metadata.
"Our Software Extensions for Alfresco have been developed based on the knowledge and experience we've gained through two decades of successfully implementing ECM solutions for our customers," said Ed Kay, Formtek Vice President, Services and Support. "We also provide full support for the Extensions, including ongoing product maintenance and updates, via our dedicated email and toll-free phone number, as well as via the Formtek Online Support Web portal."