According to a study by the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project, online classified websites are soaring in popularity with consumers - doubling their usage sice 2005. As it stands, nearly half (49 percent) of all global online adults have used online classifieds at some point. What's more, every day, nine precent of online users visit a classified site.
The study goes on to report some other interesting findings:
- Classifieds are most popular with those aged 25-44 years. Over half of this population (62 percent) have used the sites.
- Those 18-24 and 45-54 years old use less frequently, but the figures are still well over 40 percent.
- Fewer than 35 percent of users aged 55-64 years old use online classifieds.
- Men are more likely to used a classified site on any given day - 12 percent, compared to 7 percent of women.
- Those with household income levels of $50,000 or more are more likely to use online classified sites than those with incomes under $50,000 (25 percent vs. 15 percent).
- The fastest growing online population using online classified sites are 30-49 years old, and those with incomes over $50,000 per household.
Even at the low end of the scale (55-64 years old), a 35 percent usage rate is outstanding. It is also encouraging that those with spending power are more likely to be shopping online classifieds. Therefore, it's important to get your products and services listed on these sites. Craigslist is the outright leader in the space, but also consider Kijiji.com (eBay's classifieds site) and Oodle.com, which handles classifieds for Facebook.