27 Unusual Interview Questions
Hiring managers typically ask interview questions that are either directly related to the position they are hiring for or questions based on the candidate’s work history. Sometimes, however, hiring managers end up throwing a curve ball into the traditional (and expected) list of questions.
These “curve ball” questions are asked for a variety of reasons. For starters, they give hiring managers an opportunity to see how candidates respond to questions they could have never prepared for. In addition, these questions can be used to gauge a candidate’s creative and/or critical thinking abilities, or as simply an ice breaker either at the start or at the end of an interview.
If you’re looking to add some unique questions to your next interview, check out the 27 unusual questions below that will make candidates think on their feet:
1. What type of household appliance would you be, and why?
2. If you had a genie that would grant three wishes, what would you wish for?
3. If you were to get rid of one state in the U.S., which state would it be and why?
4. If you could choose a theme song to play when you entered a room, what would it be and why?
5. Name three previous Nobel Prize Winners.
6. What is your favorite Disney movie, and why?
7. If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
8. What is the ultimate pizza topping, and why?
9. How many children are born every day?
10. What’s your favorite color?
11. If you could choose a superpower, what would it be and why?
12. What kind of animal would you be, and why?
13. What do you think you will hate about this job?
14. What are your three favorite websites to browse in your spare time?
15. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you choose to play you?
16. If you were stranded on a deserted island – but had all basic essentials like water and food – what two items would you want to have with you?
17. If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be and why?
18. How do I rate as an interviewer?
19. If you could pick any brand in the world to sponsor you, which brand would you choose and why?
20. What do you think about when you are alone in your car?
21. How many babies are born in the U.S. each year?
22. What is the last gift you gave someone?
23. What’s the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?
24. Where would you go in a time machine?
25. How do you weigh an elephant without a scale?
26. What would be the title of your autobiography?
27. Pick two celebrities to be your parents.