Blog Translation With Yahoo Pipes
LifeHacker had an interesting post about how to translate blogs from foreign languages into your own native tongue. Pretty cool - but wait - it gets even better! Using the same approach, you can translate your blog into several other languages. The result just might be a larger, more international subscriber base. The whole process of translating the Website Magazine blog feed into nine languages took me about thirty minutes total. While I am not one-hundred percent confident that the translated results read as well as they do in English, it's a fun exercise and a good way to get familiar with Yahoo! Pipes.
Simple Blog Translation Process:
- Take the raw feed from your weblog
- Go to Yahoo! Pipes and create a new pipe (if you are short on time, grab the Website Magazine Spanish language pipe here and make the necessary adjustments or just follow along below). You need to be signed into Yahoo! to create a pipe.
- Use the Fetch Feed function and add your weblog feed.
- Use the Babelfish operator and change the language to the one you would like to translate your content into.
- Save and title the translated feed.
- Run the pipe and grab the RSS feed that is provided.
- Go to your preferred feed management service (WM uses Feedburner) and burn a new feed.
- From there, all you need to do is promote, promote, promote as usual!