Distributor Selling Trends Survey
GlobalSpec, a vertical search provider for the engineering, technical and industrial communities, released its 2007 Distributor Selling Trends Survey and found that (no surprise to me) that an integrated online presence is a must. The results of the entire survey can be found at GlobalSpec.
Some key information from the survey:
- 78% of respondents go online first when searching for a new distributor
- 45% of respondents stated the main reason they contacted distributors they have not purchased from in the past was that a current distributor did not have the right product
- 87% of respondents purchase parts online
- 69% of respondents search for parts using a part number at least once a month
- Availability & delivery was the most important factor when choosing a distributor
- Respondents stated the most important features on a distributor’s Web site were up-to-date content and technical specifications
I'm impressed with the similarity in the survey to Jason Prescott's recent article on "Vertical Search Engines: Pinpoint Targeting" which ran in the May issue of Website Magazine. The GlobalSpec results point to a gap between important features technical buyers seek in a distributor’s online presence (up-to-date content, technical specifications, searchable online catalogs) and those buyers’ satisfaction levels with distributors’ Web sites in delivering those features.