Mobile Leading an Email Revolution
Inbox placement solutions provider Return Path recently conducted a study to examine the role of mobile devices on email marketing campaigns, and what effect they may have on the future of email.
The results of the study were released in an infographic, entitled “Email in Motion: Mobile is Leading the Email Revolution,” and found that 88 percent of people check their email on a mobile phone at least once a day. It also predicts that by the end of the year, more people will be reading emails on a mobile device than on a desktop or webmail client.
Other noteworthy findings include:
- 85 percent of all mobile emails are read on an Apple device
- 50 percent of mobile phones in the United States are smartphones
- In the U.K., 38 percent of the population use smartphones; in Germany it’s 34 percent; and in Brazil 30 percent of mobile phone owners are using smartphones
- Desktops are still the most popular tool for viewing emails during the weekdays, but that shifts dramatically during the weekends, when people largely prefer their mobile devices
- 63 percent of American respondents and 41 percent of Europeans said that they would close/delete an email account that was not mobile optimized
- A paltry 2.39 percent of respondents said they would open the same email on both a desktop and mobile device
- Over half (56 percent) of U.S. consumers said that they’ve made at least one purchase using their smartphone as the result of a marketing message they received in a mobile email
- Oddly enough, 48 percent of online marketers still don’t know how many mobile subscribers they have on their email lists
You can view the entire infographic below: