More Product Information = Higher Conversions
WebCollage released their 2007 Survey of Online consumer Product Research Habits. The study was based on 333 respondents aged 18 and over who shopped online at least once within the last year. Of the findings, 91% of respondents said it was important or very important for retailers to provide complete product information for online research.
- 44% said they felt retail websites did not have the most complete information on manufacturer's products
- 33% were concerned that retailer product content was out-of-date
- 37% of shoppers said they would visit a competitor's retail website to find the information they needed, while 55% said they would go to a manufacturer's website to find their information - both scenarios resulting in a user navigating away from a retailer's website.
- 82% of the shoppers surveyed reported that they were more likely to return to retail websites that were able to provide them with complete product information to do research and make purchases in the future.
- 71% said that they would be more likely to purchase products in the physical store of the retailer whose website they had used to perform product research
The takeaway: Consumers are doing more research online and expecting reputable retailers to provide all the information they need. The line between online and offline shopping is getting increasingly blurry - just as one expects a knowledgeable salesperson on a retail floor, a website is expected to give every bit of information a consumer needs to make an educated decision about a product. And it's not limited to product details - the consumer is not only buying your product, they are buying your site. Providing easy-to-find contact information, return policies and secure shopping goes a long way to building trust and earning repeat customers. It then goes without saying that, in order to meet the consumer's expectations, you must provide every detail about your site and product to ensure a professional atmosphere, build trust and gain repeat visitors. Just be careful where that information is displayed - overwhelming visitors can result in a loss. Effective landing pages can help alleviate that concern.