A Hosted WordPress Site – Why does it matter?
By Kelly Meeneghan Peters, 1&1
Those looking to launch a WordPress website will be faced with the inevitable question: WordPress.com or WordPress.org? Though they may seem similar, the differences are significant.
WordPress.com offers users the ability to launch a free website with some restrictions on functionality and appearance. While the affordability is a huge attraction, the cost-free version does not deliver a fully customized domain name or e-commerce capabilities.
On the other hand, WordPress.org allows users to really “own” their website, be it a blog, e-commerce site, or any other type of Web project. With this option, the user needs to purchase a Web hosting package from a provider and download/install the WordPress.org software.
But what exactly can a hosted WordPress site deliver?
- Quick Setup – Although WordPress makes it fairly easy to install manually, some large Web hosts take it further by offering wizards to guide through the process step-by-step. Once installed, a vast library of themes and plugins are available to integrate completely free. In just a matter of a few minutes, your WordPress site can be live for all to access.
- Professional Design and Ultimate Flexibility – Some business owners are concerned that they are not able to create a professional-looking, fully functional website on their own. While understandable, WordPress bridges the gap by offering more than 3,000 themes for different layouts and appearances and 35,000-plus plugins for increased functionality. Each must meet the WordPress community guidelines in order to be approved for inclusion in its official directory. For even more selection, premium themes can be purchased from marketplaces like Template Monster.
- Minimal Cost – A high level of customization can all be achieved for very little cost with a Web hosting provider. For a low monthly fee, users can reap the benefits of a reliable host and an included domain name. Research has proven that consumers respond better to businesses with a personalized domain name (ex: websitemagazine.com) than those without one.
- Always Updated – Some Web hosts offer a fully managed installation mode. This feature allows users to focus solely on their website and less on the backend updates. If a security patch is needed or new version is released, the host will carry out the updates automatically to reduce vulnerabilities in websites.
- Security – Many hosts strive to provide optimal security for their customers. Malware detection, Web space recovery, daily backups, and redundancies have all proven to contribute greatly to keeping customers and their data safe while minimizing downtime.
- Support Teams – No matter how experienced you are, you may need to ask a question or address a concern regarding your WordPress site. When working with a quality Web hosting provider, 24/7 customer service should be available to assist throughout the entire process.
Kelly Meeneghan Peters is a manager for 1&1 Internet, Inc. (www.1and1.com), a global leader among Web hosts. The company provides businesses with the tools necessary to be successful online. For more information on how to thrive online, visit blog.1and1.com.