A Beginner's Guide to Keywords
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the practice of improving and promoting a website to increase the number of site visitors via search engines. From content on a Web page to how other websites link to a site, there’s a wide variety of aspects to SEO and many schools of thought along with them.
One of the foundations of effective SEO is the selection of keywords.
Simply stated, when a user searches for something in a search bar (think Google) the words they type bring up sites that also use those words. These are known as keywords. Web workers can boost their site's ratings by regularly posting copy that uses specific keywords.
If Web workers need a hand, there are a few online keyword tools that can help create keyword targets.
- Google AdWords Keyword Tool
- SEO Book Keyword Tool
- Keyword Discovery
- Site owners should find the words and phrases their customers use instead of any techno-babble or industry jargon.
- They should also look for synonyms and optional spellings. While one person may type in ‘e-commerce,' another may type ‘ecommerce’. One may type ‘website’ and another might search for ‘web site.'
- Purchasing an analytical package, can also allow site owners to see what phrases are currently bringing people to their site or page. This can give them an inclination of how well their site is ranking and give them ideas about similar phrases they should use.
- Anyone can also use keywords on blogs and other pages to link readers back to your home page, or a certain page they want people to see. Regularly writing blogs and publishing them online with keywords, which link back to a page, is a handy little trick to boost rankings.
Always remember that SEO, while being a valuable source of website traffic, is still only one way to attract people to a site. SEO should only be part of a company's marketing strategy not their entire marketing strategy.
About the Author: Craig Barnes is a Web Analyst at Custard Media, a Digital media agency that provides insightful, innovative online marketing solutions.