BrightLocal Puts SEO Industry In Focus
BrightLocal has released results from a survey which examines the health and nature of the local search engine optimization industry, revealing just what life's like for SEO's on the ground.
This is BrightLocal's second such survey of the industry (the first was released in July of 2011). Just over 1,400 SEO's responded to the survey, the majority of whom are SEO freelancers, small digital agencies and Web designers. The survey explore the size and turnover (revenue) of respondents companies, their clients and the industries they serve, marketing and sales, services and tasks, as well as respondents future outlook on the industry.
Highlights of the survey, available here, include:
- 82% of said they have between 1-5 practicing SEO's in their company.
- 70% of companies pay under $1000 per month for SEO services.
- 71% of SEOs handle 6 or more customers
- Just 14% of SEOs/agencies target 1 vertical industry
- 91% said word-of-mouth marketing brought in the most leads
- 32% of SEOs don’t make out bound sales enquiries (down from 46% in 2012)
- 91% of SEOs offer on-site optimization
- 82% of SEOs said that social media is an effective channel for local businesses
- 55% of SEOs say they find link building the most time consuming/tedious task they do
- 93% of respondents said they expect to grow their business in 2013