Skip to Main Content

Google & Your Right to be Forgotten

Posted on 11.26.2015

In the digital world you do, it seems, have the right to be forgotten after all. 

Since the EU issued its right to be forgotten ruling nearly 18 months ago, Google indicated it has evaluated 1,234,092 URLs from 348,085 requests. The search engine has removed search inks to 42 percent of the pages cited in the requests (retaining links to the other 58 percent). 

The ruling gave the right to those living in Europe the opportunity to request the removal of links to pages containing information deemed to be irrelevant, out of date, or inapproprioate. 

In its recently released Transparency report, Google revealed the top 10 domains from which it removed the most URLs from search results on its European search engines (see below), and to pretty much noone's surprise, Facebook topped the list. 

Google also provided some examples of requests that encounter, noting they must consider the rights of the individual as well as public interest in the conetnt, as a basis for their decision. 

 SUBSCRIBE to Website Magazine - 12 Issues FREE

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Leave Your Comment

Login to Comment

Become a Member

Not already a part of our community?
Sign up to participate in the discussion. It's free and quick.

Sign Up


Leave a comment
    Load more comments
    New code