How To Build Powerful Links and Boost Rankings with Tumblr
:: By Travis Bliffen, Stellar SEO::
If you are looking for a way to get some contextual links and social signals for your website, Tumblr is a platform you shouldn’t overlook.
Tumblr is a unique hybrid site that is as much a social platform as it is a blogging platform and for SEO, that is a stellar combination. Let’s take a look at how to get started and make the most of Tumblr for SEO.
Setting up a Blog
In order to set up a blog all you need to do is sign up for Tumblr and choose a name for your new blog or you could find an expired Tumblr sub-domain and register it. The benefit of this is that you can register a free blog that already has a page authority of 20+. If you are not sure how to find expired blogs, here is a Fiverr gig that will provide you with a fresh list of blogs you can register. Either way, it should only take a few minutes to setup your new blog.
Customizing your Blog
Similar to WordPress, there are free and paid themes to choose from for your Tumblr blog. You can also opt for a custom-made theme but in most cases, choosing one of the free themes is sufficient. Unlike some other sites, the social aspect of Tumblr means there is often less focus on the design of blogs and more on the content being shared, there are a few steps you should take though to set your blog apart from spam sites on Tumblr.
• Add an about page that tells about you and/or your blog's purpose.
• Add a custom avatar image, it will show on the dashboard feed.
Adding Content to your Blog
Since Tumblr is a hybrid site our content will meet one of two goals, encourage sharing or create pages than can be ranked. I recommend getting started by adding the following types of content:
• 15-20 blog posts covering your primary blog topic and post one per week.
• Find niche relevant images, memes and quotes to post 3-5 times daily.
• Niche relevant videos are also good to share. If you have your own YouTube channel share your videos on Tumblr for an SEO boost to your videos as well.
Once you have the initial set of content posted, you can add blog posts once every couple of weeks but you should stay in front of your followers by sharing images or videos regularly.
How to Build a Following
In order to take advantage of the social side of Tumblr you will need to build a following. Like all social sites, there are several ways to do this but here are some of the quickest.
• Follow users from the “recommended blogs” sidebar.
• Use the internal search and pull up blogs using your keywords, then follow them.
• Comment, favorite or re-blog interesting posts relating to your niche.
• Visit related blogs and comment, ask questions or submit your relevant content when it is an option. Tip: Use BuzzSumo to find the most shared blogs on Tumblr and comment on the ones relevant to your niche.
• Cross-promote by linking to your Tumblr blog from all your other social accounts, YouTube channel or your other websites.
Be on the Lookout!
Although Tumblr can be a great tool for SEO, you need to be on the lookout for adult content. If you are registering an expired Tumblr URL, plug it into a back link tool like Majestic SEO or AHREFS to make sure it was not used for adult content before. When you are finding blogs to follow, take the time to view their blogs to make sure it is not full of adult content, if so you should not follow them as it will decrease the likelihood of them sharing your link.
Who else is Rocking Tumblr?
Tumblr is used by several big brands, here are just a few big brands on Tumblr.
Using Tumblr to help promote your brand? Share your page below!
Author Bio: Travis Bliffen is the founder of Stellar SEO, a search marketing and design agency located near St. Louis, Mo. Travis loves researching and writing about SEO strategies and implementing innovative strategies for his clients. Connect on Twitter @theseoproz.