Nobody Like .ME (Domains)
SEDO and the .ME Registry have partnered for an auction of several premium .ME domain names.
The auction, which starts February 2, 2012 (mark your calendars), will feature nearly 180 .me domain names including Wifi.me, 411.me, Bar.me and many others.
The .me top level domain launched in July 2008 but as of July 2011 it had registered only 530,000 domains. While the .me extension never really gained mass appeal as many domain name industry insiders wanted and expected it to, there have been some noteworthy successes.
- The About.me site offers anyone the ability to create a personal splash page complete with social network integration.
- Social sharing and bookmarking service Delicious is using D.me to let users save and email URL links.
- Payment service Visa is planning to use V.me for its digital wallet initiative.
- Social network site Formspring.me is by far the most visited dotME domain.
- Two of the most intriguing .me extensions, Call.me and Connect.me, remain in private beta.