Skip to Main Content

Pinterest-ing Insights, Advice for Merchants

Posted on 6.09.2013

If you had to guess, what social network do you think has the potential to drive long-tail traffic well into 30 days and beyond? Did you guess Pinterest? Then you must know that this platform is navigated in a variety of ways, providing multiple entry points to raise visibility and discoverability of older, yet popular pins yielding outbound click traffic.

In fact, Piqora (formerly Pinfluencer) reports that 70 percent of the clicks happen within the first two days of a pin's existence, while the remaining 30 percent of the clicks can come all the way through 30 days and even beyond. This means it’s important for merchants to have a plan for removing old pages or handling out-of-stock items.

Piqora users leverage its Trending Gallery to handle old pin traffic. Plus, at Piqora, brands like Etsy, Sephora, ZGallerie, Steve Madden and Aeropostale are engaging with their customers over a very long period of time on Pinterest, as compared to the brands’ experiences on Facebook and Twitter, finding it a highly effective way to convert browsers into buyers.

Piqora has done a lot of number crunching on the pins it tracks for thousands of brands and passed along these Pinterest-ing stats:

  1. Repin-to-pin ratio of brand pins has gone up from 0.21 in Q4, 2012 to 0.3 in Q1, 2013. That is a 42 percent increase in Pinterest virality.
  2. One percent of all the pins on Pinterest are from Polyvore, a huge fashion social network, while 11 percent of the pins are from Tumblr
  3. Ninety-five percent of the pins are going into boards named after categories (fashion, accessories, beauty, furniture etc.).
  4. Five percent of the pins are going into very explicit commerce intent boards (want, own, wishlist, buy etc.). This means social e-commerce managers might want to engage with these 5 percent commerce intent pins to reach their potential shoppers on Pinterest.
Website Magazine Logo
Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Leave Your Comment

Login to Comment

Become a Member

Not already a part of our community?
Sign up to participate in the discussion. It's free and quick.

Sign Up


Leave a comment
    Load more comments
    New code