Retailers Are Ready for Unified Commerce
Most retailers have seen the omnichannel trend coming but are they prepared?
According to Boston Retail Group's 2016 Customer Experience/Unified Commerce Survey, they most certainly are.
Fifty-one percent of retailers indicate that creating a seamless experience across channels is their top priority. To support a seamless customer experience, 23% of the retailers surveyed have already implemented a single, unified commerce platform and another 52% plan to implement one within the next three years. Unified commerce leverages a single commerce platform to eliminate individual channel silos and solve the omni-channel integration challenges to offer a holistic customer experience across all customer touchpoints – in real-time.
“The customer journey can be simple or complex and can be different for each customer and each individual purchase. It’s not important that what we have specific labels for these scenarios, like webrooming or showrooming, but simply that we understand that the customer journey is one that is very dynamic and as retailers we have the opportunity to optimize and enhance this experience to drive increased customer loyalty. This is why “start anywhere, end anywhere” cross-channel capabilities are so important, like enabling a unified or shared shopping cart across channels,” said Brian Brunk, principal, Boston Retail Partners.
“Over the last several months we have read stories that indicate malls and traditional in-store retail are dead; however, in reality, retailers like ZARA and Apple are thriving in many of the same mall locations,” said Ken Morris, principal, Boston Retail Partners. “The key difference between retail ‘winners’ and ‘losers’ is the customer experience. Going forward, retail success will be dependent on delivering an exceptional customer experience and without it, retailers will fail.”
Key findings in the 2016 Customer Experience/Unified Commerce Survey include:
- 51% of retailers indicate that creating a seamless and optimized experience across channels is a top priority this year
- 44% of retailers state that increasing customer loyalty is a focus for the next 12 months
- 75% of retailers plan to have a single commerce platform within 3 years
- Nearly 90% of retailers plan to have as part of their unified commerce platform, centralized inventory management, order management system and integrated CRM
- 89% of retailers indicate that within three years social media will be the predominant forum for interaction with the brand
- At least 75% of retailers plan to have mobile apps for associates and customers within three years