SEO in 30 Minutes a Day – Optimizing Your Website
:: By Travis Bliffen, Stellar SEO::
Last weeks’ post covered some ideas for quick content creation and the week prior gave you the knowledge to quickly find keywords that could be used as a starting point for content and ultimately, greater online visibility.
Today you are going to learn how to implement keywords and content into your site along with a proper on page optimization structure.
Before You Start
Before you begin optimizing your site, you need to understand what works now, not what used to work.
In years’ past, a separate page would be set up and optimized for a single keyword. You would make sure that keyword was in key areas such as the page title, headings and the content. At first, it was really important to repeat the exact keyword that you wanted to target, (10 percent at one point!) sometimes to the point of making the article read awkwardly.
Luckily, Google figured out how to look beyond keyword density, which resulted in better content for the end user.
Today when you set up a page on your website, the primary focus should be the end user, as I am certain you have heard before; but what does that mean in terms of tangible tasks?
• Does your page title and Meta description entice the user to click your link?
• Does the page deliver on the title?
• Does your website load quickly?
• Is it visually appealing?
• Do you offer the answer to the user’s question?
• Is your content targeted (interest and knowledge level) to your ideal customer?
• Are additional resources available to enable further learning?
Once you have met a page the delivers upon the client’s expectations, you can do the following to make sure Google finds and likes you content as well.
• Have you included the keyword most people use to find the primary topic of your article?
• Are related terms used in the content of the website to help Google establish topical relevancy?
• Is social sharing easy for your visitors? If you have an image, is that easy to share?
• Do you deserve to be the top result for the topic you are covering?
About now I bet you are thinking; “What about all the small details of on-page seo?” If you really want to dive deep into on page SEO, here are a few resources that cover it in detail. Above, I kept it to what you should be able to review and improve in 30 minutes daily.
Quicksprout - http://www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-seo/
Brian Dean - http://backlinko.com/on-page-seo
For those of you who have been following along, you should know how to find keywords quickly. You have some ideas for quick content to stay active with your audience and share useful tips and now you know what to do when you add a new page or post to your website.
The next step in the series is link building so tune in next week to find out how you can build awesome links in 30 minutes a day, plus I will be including the link to a recent link building webinar that covers a ton of common questions while dispelling myths about link building.
See you next week!
Author Bio: Travis Bliffen is the founder of Stellar SEO, a search marketing and design agency located near St. Louis, Mo. Travis loves researching and writing about SEO strategies and implementing innovative strategies for his clients. Connect on Twitter @theseoproz.