Skip to Main Content

Social Media Mis-Measurement

Posted on 5.06.2009

Web analytics provider Tealium believes that businesses are "grossly" under-counting their traffic by not meausuring "view-through" traffic.

According to the study, only 20 percent of visitors to websites from social media and public relations are the result of a direct click. The remaining 80 percent are from "view-through," which measures traffic from Internet users who come to a site after viewing a piece of social media or online PR content that either did not contain a direct link to the site, or did not acquire the user as a result of a direct click from the content.

The problem that Tealium hopes to solve through its analytics platform is only being able to measure clicks from social media outlets, and its solution is to measure traffic where links that are not clicked on, but which still generate interest for a future visit, and traffic from content that does not provide a link, sending users in an indirect manner and emerging as a view-through. How do they do it? Tealium uses browser-based tracking to measure historical browsing behavior. To implement, Tealium clients must only embed a JavaScript tag to website pages - no hardware or software required.

Tealium Social Media is easily integrated into all popular web analytics solutions, including Google Analytics, Yahoo! Web Analytics, SiteCatalyst, WebTrends, Coremetrics, NetInsight and others. The integration lets marketers get an apples-to-apples comparison of results from their social media marketing, online PR, and other marketing channels such as pay-per-click and banner advertising.

"The study shows that marketers measuring the impact of their social media marketing and online PR based on existing analytics tools are under-reporting their performance by 80 percent," said Ali Behnam, Tealium co-founder. "View-through reporting provides marketers with a true measure of social media and PR success."

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Leave Your Comment

Login to Comment

Become a Member

Not already a part of our community?
Sign up to participate in the discussion. It's free and quick.

Sign Up


Leave a comment
    Load more comments
    New code