The Social Influence on Consumer Behavior
A new report analyzes social media trends and patterns, including the influence of social media on consumer behavior.
The report, by the Neilsen Company, a provider of consumer insight and social media analysis, shows that social networks and blogs dominate people’s online time by accounting for almost a quarter of total time on the Internet, Americans spend more time on Facebook than any other U.S. website and most adult social network users also shop online.
Additional statistics show:
• Americans spent more than 53 billion total minutes on Facebook in May 2011
• 70 percent of active online adult social networkers shop online, which is 12 percent more likely that the average adult Internet user
• Females and 18-34 year-olds are the most active social network users
• Almost 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone
• More than twice as many people that are 55 or older visited social networking sites on their mobile phone than last year
• Social Network app usage is up 30 percent from a year ago
• Across ten major global markets, social networks and blogs reach over three-quarters of active Internet users
• Tumblr is growing in popularity, by almost tripling its audience in just a year