Social Media Users are Young(ish) & Female
Well, who would have thought! According to a Pew Research survey from late 2012, young adults are more likely than any other age group to use major social media platforms.
According to Pew's survey, 67% of all internet users indicate they are on social networking sites. Where it gets interesting, however, is in the network-by-network breakdown.
- Facebook: 67% of users are on Facebook; the service is espeically appealing to women, adults aged 18-29.
- Twitter: Only 16% of respondents indicated they were users; the platform is especially apealing to adults ages 18-29, African-Americans, urban residents.
- Pinterest: 15% of internet users, claim to use the platform; especially appealing to women, adults under 50, whites, those with some college education.
- Instagram: Just 13% of internet users are on Instagram; especially appealing to adults ages 18-29, African-Americans, Latinos, women, and urban residents.
- Tumblr: Only 6% of Internet users are on the network; appealing to adults ages 18-29.
On the whole though, the chart from Pew below indicates that social network usage trends more femal, white (non-hispanic), young, somewhat educated, and urban.