The Digital Future in Focus
Comscore released its annual report examining trends in the digital world including social media, search, online video, digital advertising, mobile and e-commerce. The 2012 U.S. Digital Future in Focus provides several key insights and highlights what these trends mean for the coming year.
“2012 promises to be an exciting year for the digital media industry as the explosion of available content and proliferation of web-enabled devices drive the evolution of the digital consumer, creating new opportunities and challenges for the entire digital ecosystem,” says Linda Abraham, comScore CMO and EVP of Global Product Development. “In order to be successful in this new paradigm, digital marketers must understand the key trends shaping the current marketplace and what that means for the future of their businesses.”
Some of the report’s most interesting highlights, which can be accessed here, include:
- Social Networking accounted for 16.6 percent of all online minutes at the end of 2011 and is on track to surpass Portals as the most engaging online activity in 2012.
- Bing had a positive growth trajectory in 2011, closing out the year by surpassing Yahoo! for the #2 position among core search engines for the first time in its history
- More than 100 million Americans watched online video content on an average day to close out 2011, representing a 43-percent increase versus year ago.
- A staggering 4.8 trillion display ad impressions were delivered across the U.S. Web in 2011 as brand advertisers continued to shift dollars to the digital medium.
- Ecommerce growth rates versus the prior year remained in double-digits to significantly outpace growth at brick-and-mortar retail.