Skip to Main Content

Unprepared for Cyber-Security Incidents

Posted on 5.17.2016

Enterprises are reportedly completely unprepared for cyber-security incidents according to the annual Global Threat Intelligence Report (GTIR) announced by NTT Com Security, an NTT Group company.

The 2016 GTIR report revealed that despite a rise in security attacks and data breaches, 77 percent of organizations fall into the ‘unprepared’ category, leaving just 23 percent with the capability to respond effectively to critical security incidents.


 SUBSCRIBE to Website Magazine & Accelerate 'Net Success


“Prevention and planning for cyber security incidents seems to be stagnating, according to the figures in both the GTIR and our recent Risk:Value report,” says Garry Sidaway, VP Security Strategy & Alliances, NTT Com Security. “This is a real concern and could be down to a number of reasons; not least the possibility of security fatigue – too many high profile security breaches, information overload and conflicting advice – combined with the sheer pace of technology change, lack of investment and increased regulation.

The GTIR report also provided some interesting incident response statistics, including:

  • An increase in breach investigations, with 28 percent in 2015 compared to 16 percent the previous year, with many incidents focused on theft of data and intellectual property.
  • Internal threats jumped to 19 percent of overall investigations – from 2 percent in 2014. Many of these were the result of employees and contractors abusing information and computing assets.
  • Spear phishing attacks accounted for approximately 17 percent of incident response activities in 2015, up from 2 percent previously. Many of these attacks related to financial fraud targeting executives and finance personnel, with attackers using clever social engineering tactics, such as getting organizations to pay fake invoices.
  • Despite a rise in DDoS hacking groups like DD4BC and Armada Collective, the GTIR noted a drop in DDoS related activity compared to the previous two years. This is likely to be due to an investment in DDoS mitigation tools and services.

 

WebsiteMagazineMiniLogo

Leave Your Comment

Login to Comment

Become a Member

Not already a part of our community?
Sign up to participate in the discussion. It's free and quick.

Sign Up

 

Leave a comment
    Load more comments
    New code

  • Unlimited potential. Unlimited names. .COM's just $9.99 each!

    5 Next-Generation Supplier Strategies

    Tipalti