Skip to Main Content

Whoops... You Are Now Subscribed

Posted on 3.04.2015

Cloud-based business app market GetApp released a research study on the most common reason for users to subscribe to an email newsletter and the results could be quite revealing for marketers in terms of what their competition is up to.

 Request Website Magazine's Free Weekly Newsletters 

Nearly 25 percent of respondents indicated they were "auto-subscribed" after sending a support email or downloading a file - and then simply found themselves on a mailing list. GetApp probably should have dug a little deeper to determine if the practice of auto-subscribing users was an effective technique for email marketers, but it does show the lengths at which today's digital brands will go to communicate with their prospective audience.

Following closely behind ‘auto-subscribe’, 22.6 percent of respondents say that it’s ‘deals or special offers’ that drive them to click on the subscribe button, while ‘getting news updates’ comes in third with 21.4 percent. Just missing the top three, ‘interesting news and articles’ comes in fourth with 21 percent.

“It’s natural that small businesses experiment with different ways to get people to subscribe to their mailing lists, but as this latest research clearly shows, there is a need for better communication when it comes to letting users know if they’re being added to a list or not," said Christophe Primault, co-founder and CEO of GetApp. "The research also identifies that marketers should be using their email marketing software’s segmentation features to their full advantage, ensuring that they’re sending out the right content to the right people.”

One of the more interesting findings from the study was that the results changed when segmented by gender. With 62.8 percent of the panel being male, ‘auto-subscribe’ still comes out as the number one reason for joining a mailing list, but the remaining 37.2 percent of respondents (all female) subscribe most commonly for ‘deals and special offers’ at 26.9 percent. Interestingly, auto-subscribe falls to fourth place with just 21.5 percent of female respondents succumbing to the auto-subscribe. Why do users unsubscribe? Receiving too many emails is the number one reason. 


Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Leave Your Comment

Login to Comment

Become a Member

Not already a part of our community?
Sign up to participate in the discussion. It's free and quick.

Sign Up


Leave a comment
    Load more comments
    New code