Tis’ the Season for Amazon Prime
Consumers turned to Amazon not only to purchase products like clothing and electronics this holiday season, but also to purchase Amazon Prime memberships.
In fact, Amazon reports that its annual membership program, which offers unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of items, received more than one million customers from around the world in the third week of December.
“Amazon Prime membership continues to grow, and we now have tens of millions of members worldwide. They benefit from all-you-can-eat free two-day shipping on millions of eligible items and our members have a voracious appetite,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “We are extremely grateful to our customers around the world and wish everyone the very best for the coming year."
That said, the e-commerce juggernaut also saw success outside of its Prime offering. For starters, more than 36.8 million items were ordered worldwide on Cyber Monday, which averages to 426 items per second. In total, Amazon shipped to 185 countries during the 2013 holiday season. Plus, more than half of Amazon customers shopped on the site using a mobile device this holiday season.
Read below for some more interesting stats Amazon reveals about the 2013 holiday season:
• Amazon shipped enough items with Prime this holiday to deliver at least one gift to every household in America.
• Amazon customers purchased enough Crayola Marker Makers to be able to draw a line around the world four times.
• The new Xbox One and PlayStation 4 gaming consoles were so popular that at the peak of sales for each console, customers bought more than 1,000 units per minute.
• Amazon customers purchased enough youth archery kits to outfit every resident of Katniss Everdeen's hometown, District 12, four times over.
• Amazon customers purchased enough cross-body purses to outfit every attendee at a typical Taylor Swift concert.